The General Conference of UNESCO appointed Audrey Azoulay (France) to the post of Director-General of the Organization. Ms Azoulay was nominated on 13 October to take the place of outgoing Director-General Irina Bokova (Bulgaria) by UNESCO’s Executive Board.
"Our organisation is facing another round of renovation. In the process it must preserve its mission of the generator of the ideas of development and progress, reliable humanitarian foundation for global architecture, and a universally recognised forum for protecting spiritual and cultural heritage and promoting timeless moral values@.
Also in the topic:
- Medinsky believes that five more objects of Russia will be included in the UNESCO list in 7-8 years to come
- UNESCO Member States set to approve programme, budget and appoint the new Director-General
- The "Baikal Geopark of UNESCO" is under way in the Irkutsk region
- Remarks by Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov, head of the Russian delegation, at the 202nd session of the UNESCO Executive Board, Paris, October 10, 2017
- Bikin National Park in Primorsky Krai may be included in the UNESCO World Heritage list
- Veliky Novgorod will host a UNESCO conference