Empowering people through the free flow of ideas by word and image, and by access to information and knowledge.
The Communication and Information Sector (CI) was established in its present form in 1990. Its programmes are rooted in UNESCO’s Constitution, which requires the Organization to promote the “free flow of ideas by word and image.” Besides its staff at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, the CI Sector is represented in 27 UNESCO field offices.
The Communication and Information Sector is headed by Abdul Waheed Khan (India), Assistant Director-General for Communication and Information.
It consists of:
- the Communication Development Division
- the Division for Freedom of Expression, Democracy and Peace
- the Information Society Division
The Sector also provides the secretariats for two intergovernmental programmes: the International Programme for the Development of Communication (IPDC) and the Information for All Programme (IFAP).
The three principal strategic objectives of the Sector’s programmes are:
- Promoting the free flow of ideas and universal access to information
- Promoting the expression of pluralism and cultural diversity in the media and world information networks
- Promoting access for all to ICTs
In addition to the Regular Programme, the CI Sector implements various inter-regional, regional and national projects with extra-budgetary funding mainly in Africa, the Arab States, Asia, the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean. The Sector collaborates with UN agencies, bilateral development agencies, international and regional non-governmental agencies.
- UNESCO’s mandate
- UNESCO major programs in Russia
- Normative documents
- Representation of Russia in intergovernmental bodies
- Russia's national bodies
- UNESCO’s publications
- Biennial sectoral priorities (BSPs) 36 C/5
- Main lines of action (MLAs)
- DRAFT PROGRAMME AND BUDGET FOR 2012-2013 (36 C/5)
|Multilingualism in cyberspace for inclusive sustainable development discussed in Khanty-Mansiysk|
|The Global Expert Meeting “Multilingualism in Cyberspace for Inclusive Sustainable Development” was successfully hosted in Khanty-Mansiysk|
|World Radio Day 2017|
|Sputnik News Agency and Radio will be celebrating UNESCO World Radio Day 2017 with a 24 hour radio marathon of special programming.|
|Results of the 30th session of the Intergovernmental Council of IPDC|
|The anniversary 30th session of the Intergovernmental Council of the International Program for the Development of Communication (IPDC) closed in Paris|