The Main Activities of the Committee of the Republic of Bashkortostan for UNESCO:
- participation in the activities, programs and projects undertaken by UNESCO in education, science and culture, information and communication, youth programs, sports and tourism;
- participation in activities, programs and projects of the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO, interaction with the regional offices of the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO, cooperation with national and regional commissions of the Member States of UNESCO;
- strengthening peace, friendship and cooperation between nations;
- dissemination of information about UNESCO, its statutory and programmatic activities;
- propaganda of principles of interethnic and interreligious harmony, mutual understanding and tolerance;
- promoting education, science and culture in the Republic of Bashkortostan, preservation and development of the Bashkir language and other languages, cultures and traditions of the Bashkir people and other peoples of the multinational Bashkortostan;
- promoting states’ and peoples’ awareness of the world's history, culture, language, national customs and traditions of the Bashkir people and other peoples of Bashkortostan;
- promoting awareness of the population of the Republic of Bashkortostan of the history and culture, traditions and customs of the peoples of the world, promoting the study of foreign languages, the development of multilateral cooperation of the Republic of Bashkortostan with foreign countries.
- assisting in organizing cooperation between the Republic of Bashkortostan with Russia's regions and foreign countries, their regional and national commissions for UNESCO in the sphere of education, science and culture, information and communication, youth programs, sports and tourism;
- organizing events for the study, promotion and preservation of monuments of history, culture and architecture, natural sites in the Republic of Bashkortostan and organizing activities for including a number of cultural monuments and natural sites in the Republic of Bashkortostan in the list of Russian, European and World Cultural and Natural Heritage, organizing national, interregional, all-Russian and international conferences, symposia and forums on these issues;
- invitation of republican, Russian and international experts of UNESCO to participate and support republican, interregional, all-Russian and international congresses, symposia, meetings, to develop policy documents, agreements, projects and appeals.
The UNESCO Associated Schools Project has been implemented in the Republic of Bashkortostan since 2000. During this time, 10 educational institutions of the republic received certificates of Paris: Republican Boarding Lyceum of Economics, Republican Art Boarding Gymnasium named after K.Davletkildeev and Ufa schools: the “Alpha” Secondary General School (SGS) with an in-depth study of certain subjects, Lyceum No. 5, SGS No. 32, SGS No. 45, SGS No. 131, the Bashkir Gymnasium No.140, SGS No. 155, Gymnasium No. 39. 20 schools of cities and districts of the Republic of Bashkortostan are working in this project in the capacity of participants.
Students of schools of the Republic of Bashkortostan are working in numerous projects of UNESCO and UNEP, participating in festivals of national cultures, days and forums of UNESCO, exhibitions, tournaments, cups for public speaking, actions and conferences, school projects reviews on the UN and UNESCO problems, international educational projects: Education for All, the World Cultural Heritage, Mondialogo; international environmental projects of UNESCO: Tunza, Volvo Adventure.
Under the treaty of friendship and cooperation between the Committee of the Republic of Bashkortostan for UNESCO and the German West–East society of Baden-Wurttemberg, international cultural, social and educational projects “Creativity competence in the European context” are being implemented.
In 2008 Ufa hosted a meeting of the National Council of the project “UNESCO Associated Schools of the Russian Federation”.
In 2003, on the basis of the department of ethics, aesthetics and cultural studies of the faculty of philosophy and sociology of the Bashkir State University the UNESCO Chair “Education in a multicultural and multi-confessional society” was opened.
In the same year the UNESCO Associated Center for microscience experiment at the Bashkir State Pedagogical University named after M.Akmulla was created.
Work on inclusion of known historical, cultural and natural sites of natural and cultural heritage of the Republic of Bashkortostan into the list of Russian, European and World Cultural and Natural Heritage is a priority for the Committee. The nature monument of Shulgan-Tash (Kapova cave), the Bashkir Ural-Batyr folk epics, as well as others deserve the attention of the world community.
In October 2009, the All-Russia scientific-practical conference “The Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Southern Urals as an Innovative Resource” took place in Ufa, dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Paleolithic cave paintings in Shulgan-Tash (Kapova cave), during which the study and preservation of other natural and cultural sites of the republic for future generations of the country and the world were also addressed.
A significant international event was the holding of the Days of the Republic of Bashkortostan at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris in March 2008 dedicated to the 450th Anniversary of Bashkortostan’s voluntary entry into the Russian State, where numerous guests from France and many other countries could become acquainted with the achievements of the Republic of Bashkortostan in the field of culture, science and education. The leadership of UNESCO attended the presentation of the Republic of Bashkortostan, a communiqué on cooperation between the Government of the Republic of Bashkortostan and UNESCO was signed. Bashkortostan was the second subject of the country after Moscow to sign a cooperation agreement with UNESCO.
Bashkortostan is Russia's fifth region, the presentation of which took place at UNESCO headquarters in Paris after Moscow, Altai Republic, the Republic of Tatarstan and the Republic of Sakha Yakutia.
The Committee of the Republic of Bashkortostan for UNESCO is the initiator of festivals of national cultures of the peoples of Bashkortostan, school and student projects reviews, conferences on preservation of natural and cultural heritage of the republic, the organizer of the international project “Youth of the Republic of Bashkortostan acquaints itself and studies UNESCO World Heritage”.
With the assistance of the Committee of the Republic of Bashkortostan for UNESCO numerous exhibitions of famous painters and photo artists of the Republic are organized, who represent in their works an original culture of the peoples of Bashkortostan.
Representatives of the Republic of Bashkortostan took part in official International conferences and meetings, such as: a Session of UNESCO's General Conference in Paris, the International Human Rights Forum in Nantes, France, meeting of the World Federation of UNESCO Clubs, Centers and Associations in Yekaterinburg, the World Festival of Folklore in some foreign countries.